The bloodline is tasked with watching over the fragments of the Great Power, the Divine Knights, and guiding the Awakeners to their respective Divine Knight. They do so to re-enact the War of the Lions for the purpose of an overarching, unspecified system possibly related to a Sept-Terrion. After each iteration of this war, the witches are tasked with erasing the knowledge of the Divine Knights from the people's minds.
List of witches
Below is a list of known witches. Between brackets is each supporting familiar.
Below is a list of known incantations used by the Hexen shown through the games.
- Lux solis medicuri eum ('Heal him, sunlight'); Initially shown by Emma during the second field study to Bareahard when Rean got injured on his arm during a fight. This incantation appeals to the sun and has shown stronger healing proficiency over Orbal Arts.
- Aperio ('Open'); A simple lockpicking spell first shown by Emma during the second field trip to Bareahard to open the locked door to the Underground Waterway.
- Flamma ('Flame'); A simple incantation shown by Emma during a bonding event to put a candle on fire. This spell was performed by Emma using a wand.
- Phantasmagoria ('Resound, resound, O voice everlasting... Rend Night's silent veil and reveal unto all the beautiful world!'); One of Vita's incantations used during the ending of Trails of Cold Steel 1 to show the students of Thors the events of Osborne's assassination and the following ascent and reveal of the Noble Faction with Panzer Soldats. This incantation possibly shows what Grianos sees through it's eyes.
- Hexen means "witches" in German, or alternatively "to practice witchcraft" when written in lower-case.